These Vegan Buffalo Wings are baked — not fried — and packed full of spicy buffalo flavor. It’s the perfect game day appetizer!
If you're looking for a great vegetarian appetizer using delicious buffalo flavors, look no further! Bring these vegan buffalo wings along with you as a bite size, finger food appetizer. They also make the perfect game day dish.
These baked buffalo cauliflower bites are fiber filled, antioxidant rich and surprisingly delicious! I know, cauliflower wings are not the same as chicken wings but these cauliflower wings are so ridiculously good that even wing lovers will be up for giving them a try.
Whether you want to go meatless or you’re having friends or family members over who have diet restrictions, these baked vegan buffalo cauliflower bites are perfect!
Ingredients You'll Need
The cauliflower wings are baked not fried, making them a healthier option, all while being flavorful and delicious!
- Cauliflower - 1 large head of cauliflower. Cut and wash the cauliflower florets thoroughly before using.
- Flour - this recipe uses gluten free flour. You can also use any all purpose flour or whole wheat flour.
- Dairy free milk - I used almond milk for this recipe however you can also use any whole milk, skim milk or other plant based milks
- Seasonings - garlic powder, paprika powder, cayenne powder, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Buffalo sauce - I love Primal Kitchen buffalo sauce. You can use whichever buffalo wing sauce you prefer.
- Agave - just a small amount to balance all the flavors. If you're not vegan, honey also works well.
- Olive oil - to help coat the cause on the vegan wings
How Do You Cut Cauliflower for Buffalo Bites?
- Wash the cauliflower and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the cauliflower on a large cutting board.
- Cut the cauliflower in half from the bottom stem all the way through the top.
- From here, you can easily access and cut smaller cauliflower florets.
- Remove as much of the stem from the Cauliflower bite as possible, without having the cauliflower fall apart. The stem has a bitter taste and you want to eliminate as much as possible.
How to Make the Vegan Buffalo Wings
The raw cauliflower florets are tossed in the batter then roasted at high heat for about 30 minutes, rotating halfway through. The cauliflower is then removed from the oven, tossed in the buffalo wing sauce, then returned to the oven to bake for an additional 20-25 minutes.
How to Serve the Crispy Cauliflower Bites
You can toss them into a taco or tortilla wrap as a meal, add them to a salad or leave the buffalo bites as an appetizer with a side dip. I like to pair the buffalo cauliflower bites with a rich and creamy vegan blue cheese dressing or vegan ranch dressing.
Depending on the size of your cauliflower pieces, you’ll need to bake them for a total time of about 45 - 50 minutes at 450 degrees on a parchment lined baking sheet. Remove the buffalo cauliflower from the oven when they begin to look tender-crisp and a tad brown around the edges, but before they turn too brown all around.
I do not recommend using frozen cauliflower florets for this recipe. They are more likely to end up soggy or mushy once thawed and cooked. For the best results, buy and cut a fresh head of cauliflower.
If you end up with leftovers, the best way to reheat these Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings is of course in the oven! Place the wings on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 400°F.
More Recipes You May Like
Cooper Hawks Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Vegan Buffalo Wings
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup almond milk or any dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce or hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave
- Preheat oven to 450˚F
- Cut the head of cauliflower into florets
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, paprika, garlic powder,cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and milk, and stir until well-combined.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the batter, making sure each piece is evenly coated.
- Place on lined baking sheet, trying not to crowd the pan (use two baking sheets if necessary, you want crispy buffalo cauliflower, the more room in between the cauliflower the better.)
- Bake for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and let cool about 5 minutes
- In a another mixing bowl, combine the buffalo/hot sauce, olive oil, and agave, and stir until combined.
- Toss the cauliflower in the buffalo/hot sauce mixture then place back on baking sheet
- Bake for an additional 20 - 25 minutes, flipping halfway
- Remove cauliflower from oven and enjoy!
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to receive 6 Free exclusive homemade healthy smoothie recipes. You'll also get a sneak peak at upcoming recipes and nutrition and wellness tips.
I’d love to know if you try this recipe! Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest , Facebook Tik-Tok and Twitter for updates, recipes, and more!
Leave a Reply