This Island Green Smoothie recipe is a simple green smoothie for beginners that is healthy, delicious and it's made with 6 ingredients in less than 5 minutes!
This is the best green smoothie recipe that is naturally sweetened with fruit (no added sugars) with mango banana spinach smoothie and good-for-you ingredients like ginger, these wholesome ingredients are a great way to sneak more greens into your everyday routine in a green smoothie cleanse.
Whether you’re wanting to start drinking a green smoothie for weight loss, you're wanting to drink more fresh and healthy juices or simply to add more greens to your daily diet, skip the store-bought smoothies and blend your own right at home that’s healthy and delicious and will have you feeling like you're on a tropical island with every sip.
Equipment You’ll Need
- High Speed Blender – this is the blender I used to make this delicious kale smoothie. You can also use a compact blender to make this recipe. Just make sure to blend the kale and the liquid first before adding the other ingredients.
- Measuring Equipment - 1 cup and 1/4 teaspoon
Ingredients You'll Need
To make the best green smoothie, you will need:
- Spinach - blending your greens up in a smoothie is one of the best ways to eat your veggies. Kale works well too!
- Banana - helps to sweeten and thicken the smoothie. For a thick and creamy smoothie, use frozen banana slices
- Mango - using frozen mango will help thicken the smoothie. The mango also adds a tropical flavor to the smoothie. You can also substitute with frozen pineapple or peach.
- Orange juice - make sure you buy organic orange juice with no additives in it. This helps to add a splash of tropical flavor and helps to blend all the frozen fruit.
- Almond milk - I used unsweetened almond milk, but any plant based milk works. Other great options are oat milk or cashew milk
- Ground Ginger - it’s an anti-inflammatory and it boosts your immune system, which means it’s a natural weapon against cold and flu.
How to Make the Island Green Smoothie
- Add the spinach, banana, mango, orange juice, almond milk and ground ginger to a high speed blender.
- Blend all of the ingredients together until they are smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into your favorite glass and serve!
What Greens Should I Put in my Smoothie?
Green smoothies always start with a base of hearty leafy greens. A green smoothie recipes for beginners should include spinach since it's one of the best options because it has a mild taste. If you like to live life on the wild side, consider including greens like:
- Swiss chard
- Collard greens
Just remember the more greens, the drink will become more bitter. If you prefer your smoothies on the sweeter side, you’ll want to balance out the bitter with some added sweetener.
Green Smoothie Add-Ins:
The add-in options are endless for making green smoothies. Adding in a boost of nutrients will take your green smoothie to the next level. Here are some options:
- Protein Powder - adding protein powder will help boost your daily protein intake. I suggest using a vanilla or unflavored protein powder for this green smoothie.
- Chia Seeds - These tiny powerful seeds are also an excellent source of fiber, protein, B12, iron, and more!
- Ground hemp seeds - rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which are known for improving heart health by reducing cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglycerides.
- Ground flax seeds - one serving provides a good amount of protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids
- Wheat germ - good source of magnesium, zinc, thiamin, folate, potassium, and phosphorus.
- Collagen powder - Collagen powders contain amino acids, which are needed for everyday functions. I suggest using a vanilla or unflavored collagen powder for this green smoothie.
The Best Green Smoothie Recipe Tips
Below are a few helpful Green Smoothie Tips. Be sure to add the frozen fruit to the top of the blender for easy blending.
- Frozen Bananas: bananas are an essential ingredient to make the best green smoothies for both natural sweetness and a creamy texture. Buy bananas already ripened, then cut them into halves or thirds, place them in an airtight ziploc bag or container and freeze them so they’re ready to use.
- No Ice: As you can see, I do not include any ice in this recipe. It dilutes the flavor of the smoothie and gives it more of an icy texture rather than a smooth and creamy texture.
- Frozen Fruit: I like to use mango for this recipe but you can also try using pineapple or peaches. Both will also taste great.
- Sweeteners: This Green Smoothie is naturally sweetened with fruit (no added sugars) but if you determine the drink isn’t quite sweet enough, feel free to add a little honey or agave syrup or 1-2 dates.
Sometimes adding fruit alone won’t provide enough sweetness. You may need to add in a little extra sweetener or acidity to the smoothie. You can add honey, dates or agave syrup for sweetness or an extra splash of orange juice or a dash of lemon or lime juice for a little extra boost.
This simple green smoothie is the easiest you’ll ever make. The ingredients are spinach , banana, mango, orange juice, almond milk and ginger.
I would suggest using frozen fruit in smoothies if possible because it helps create the perfect thick and creamy consistency.
This Island Green smoothie is filled with tropical fruits, a good helping of spinach to provide fiber and contains a variety of beneficial nutrients, including vitamins A and C, that help to support your immune system.
Yes. Green smoothies are a great way to get the nutrients your body needs, especially if you struggle to get enough green vegetables in your diet.
More Recipes You May Like:
Island Green Smoothie
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 banana frozen
- 1/2 cup mango frozen
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅓ cup orange juice organic or fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender
- Blend well until smooth.
- Pour into your favorite glass and serve!
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to receive 6 Free exclusive homemade healthy smoothie recipes. You'll also get a sneak peak at upcoming recipes and nutrition and wellness tips.
I’d love to know if you try this recipe! Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest , Facebook Tik-Tok and Twitter for updates, recipes, and more!
Leave a Reply