A Healthy Egg Muffin Sandwich made with egg whites and veggies. Make these the day of or make them in advance for the week's meal prep.
The holidays are over, the gyms are packed and everyone is ready to get back on track with eating healthy and exercising regularly. This Healthy Egg Muffin Sandwich recipe has always been my go to breakfast option to help me stay on track for the week.
You can make your own homemade “Egg McMuffin” right at home. And the best part, it’s healthier for you then buying it from a fast food chain or the freezer section in the grocery store.
It's a hearty and healthy breakfast sandwich that can be made in advance, it's filled with veggies and a great source of protein from the eggs to help keep you full all morning long. This recipe is super customizable by adding additional ingredients of your choice such as: cheese, mushrooms or bell peppers, if you prefer. These are amazing to make ahead and pull out of the fridge for a hot breakfast on-the-go!
Why You'll Love This Recipe:
- It's an easy and healthy breakfast made in just 30 minutes.
- Contains only a few simple ingredients like spinach, tomato, onion and eggs.
- You can make it ahead and have it for your weekly meal prep.
- It provides a perfect balance of carbs, fats and protein, which makes for a healthy breakfast sandwich meal prep.
- It’s a versatile recipe, you can add pretty much any ingredients you like.
Main Ingredients in the Egg Muffin Sandwich:
- English Muffin – I use Food For Life 7- Sprouted Grains English Muffins
- Egg Whites & Veggies – I always opt for protein and veggies first thing in the AM!
- Other Ingredients – feel free to add in cheese, mushrooms or bell peppers. Not necessary, but they make great additions to the breakfast sandwhich.
How to Store the Breakfast Sandwich:
If you are meal planning these ahead for the work week, the best way to store them is to let the eggs cool completely. I typically let them rest in the baking cups about 10 -15 minutes after they come out of the oven. Once completely cooled, assemble the sandwich and store them in an airtight container. They can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Egg Muffin Sandwich Tips:
- To make the Egg Muffin Sandwich, I used these BPA free silicone baking cups.
- I buy my egg whites pre-separated. If you plan to separate the egg whites yourself, you will need about 6 egg whites, 2 egg whites for each egg muffin.
- For storing, I like to place a paper towel in each of the sandwich containers to help absorb any moisture.
More Recipes You May Like:
Healthy Egg Muffin Sandwich
- 1/2 cup baby spinach chopped
- 1/3 cup onion diced
- 4-5 grape tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup egg whites pre-separated or about 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease the muffin cups and set aside.
- Roughly chop the spinach and onion and add to the muffin cups. Dice the grape tomatoes and add them to the muffin cups.
- Add the egg whites to a bowl along with the garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Divide the egg and veggie mixture between the muffin cups, Pour the egg mixture almost to the top of each muffin cup. There should be just about enough to fill all of them.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the eggs are set in the middle and the edges are lightly golden brown. Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- Remove the egg muffins out of the muffin cups and serve warm or wait until they’re completely cool and store in an airtight container.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to receive 6 Free exclusive homemade healthy smoothie recipes. You'll also get a sneak peak at upcoming recipes and nutrition and wellness tips.